The following is a sampling of recommended resources pertaining to 1) crisis situations, 2) day-to-day self-help, and 3) intersections of mental health, spiritual/religious concerns, and LGBTQ+ concerns.
Disclaimer: Though I am familiar with these resources, they are not a substitute for professional mental health care, and I cannot guarantee their usefulness for any particular individual. I am not being paid/compensated in any way to offer these recommendations.
If you are experiencing a psychiatric emergency, please call 911, visit your local emergency room, or consider using one of the following crisis resources.
Suicide, Self-Harm, or Crisis-General
– Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1 (800) 273-8255
– Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741-741
– The Trevor Project: Call (866) 488-7386 or Text START to 678-678
– Trans Lifeline: (877) 564-8860
– Asian LifeNet Hotline (Cantonese, Fujianese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin): (877) 990-8585
– Ayuda En Español (Spanish): (888) 628-9454
Domestic & Sexual Violence
– National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1 (800) 656-HOPE (4673)
– National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1 (800) 799-SAFE (7233)
– National Human Trafficking Hotline: (888) 373-7888
The following are a limited sampling of resources that are relevant to anxiety, depression, & day-to-day wellbeing and accessible to the general public.
– The Body Is Not an Apology – Sonya Renee Taylor
– Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir – Marsha Linehan
– The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are – Brene Brown
– The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT – Russ Harris
– Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive – Marc Brackett
– Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN – Tara Brach
– Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself – Kristin Neff
– Insight Timer
– DBT Self-Help: Life Skills for Emotional Health
– You Feel Like Shit: A Self-Care Game
– The Nap Ministry
Spiritual/Religious Concerns, LGBTQ+ Spirituality, etc.
As described in the Therapy tab, I have a special interest in working with spiritual/religious concerns, LGBTQ+ spirituality, and other similar topics. The following are a limited sampling of resources that are relevant to that area of interest and accessible to the general public.
– Beyond Shame: Creating a Healthy Sex Life on Your Own Terms – Matthias Roberts
– Bipolar Faith: A Black Woman’s Journey with Depression and Faith – Monica Coleman
– Christ on the Psych Ward – David Finegan-Hosey
– #ChurchToo: How Purity Culture Upholds Abuse and How to Find Healing – Emily Joy Allison
– Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness – Kathryn Greene-McCreight
– Depression, Anxiety, & Other Things We Don’t Want to Talk About – Ryan Casey Waller
– Healing the Wounds of Sexual Abuse: Reading the Bible with Survivors – Elaine Heath
– Outlove: A Queer Christian Survival Story – Julie Rodgers
– No Cure for Being Human – Kate Bowler
– Sacred Wounds: A Path to Healing from Spiritual Trauma – Teresa Pasquale Mateus
– Transforming: The Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians – Austen Hartke
– CXMH: A Podcast on Faith & Mental Health hosted by Robert Vore & Holly Oxhandler
– Everything Happens (For a Reason) hosted by Kate Bowler
– On Being hosted by Krista Tippett
– Queerology hosted by Matthias Roberts
– The Christian Closet led by Candice Czubernat
– Enfleshed: Spiritual Nourishment for Collective Liberation led by M. Barclay
– Queer Grace: An Encyclopedia for LGBTQ & Christian Life led by Emmy Kegler
– Reclamation Collective led by Kayla Felten and Kendra Snyder
– Religious Trauma Institute led by Laura Anderson and Brian Peck