The following is a sampling of recommended resources pertaining to 1) crisis situations, 2) day-to-day self-help, and 3) intersections of mental health, spiritual/religious concerns, and LGBTQ+ concerns.
Disclaimer: Though I am familiar with these resources, they are not a substitute for professional mental health care, and I cannot guarantee their usefulness for any particular individual. I am not being paid/compensated in any way to offer these recommendations.
If you are experiencing a psychiatric emergency, please call 911, visit your local emergency room, or consider using one of the following crisis resources:
Suicide, Self-Harm, or Crisis-General
– Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1 (800) 273-8255
– Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741-741
– The Trevor Project: Call (866) 488-7386 or Text START to 678-678
– Trans Lifeline: (877) 564-8860
– Asian LifeNet Hotline (Cantonese, Fujianese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin): (877) 990-8585
– Ayuda En Español (Spanish): (888) 628-9454
Domestic & Sexual Violence
– National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1 (800) 656-HOPE (4673)
– National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1 (800) 799-SAFE (7233)
– National Human Trafficking Hotline: (888) 373-7888
The following are a limited sampling of resources that are relevant to anxiety, depression, & day-to-day wellbeing and accessible to the general public.
– Calm – mindfulness, relaxation, sleep
– Headspace – mindfulness, relaxation, sleep
– Insight Timer – mindfulness, relaxation, sleep
– Reflectly – mood monitoring, journaling
– Youper – mood monitoring
– DBT Self-Help: Life Skills for Emotional Health
– You Feel Like Shit: A Self-Care Game
– The Nap Ministry
– Therapy for Black Girls
Spiritual/Religious Concerns, LGBTQ+ Spirituality, etc.
As described in the Therapy tab, I have a special interest in working with spiritual/religious concerns, LGBTQ+ spirituality, and other similar topics. The following are a limited sampling of resources that are relevant to that area of interest and accessible to the general public.
– Bipolar Faith: A Black Woman’s Journey with Depression and Faith by Monica Coleman, Ph.D.
– Christ on the Psych Ward by David Finegan-Hosey, M.Div.
– Darkness Is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness by Rev. Kathryn Greene-McCreight
– Depression, Anxiety, & Other Things We Don’t Want to Talk About by Ryan Casey Waller, LMFT
– CXMH: A Podcast on Faith & Mental Health hosted by Robert Vore, APC, NCC & Holly Oxhandler, Ph.D.
– Everything Happens (For a Reason) hosted by Kate Bowler, Ph.D.
– The Liturgists hosted by Michael Gungor, William Matthews, & Hilary McBride, Ph.D.
– On Being hosted by Krista Tippett
– Queerology hosted by Matthias Roberts, LMHC
– The Christian Closet led by Candice Czubernat, LMHC
– Enfleshed: Spiritual Nourishment for Collective Liberation led by Rev. M. Barclay
– Queer Grace: An Encyclopedia for LGBTQ & Christian Life led by Rev. Emmy Kegler
– Reclamation Collective led by Kayla Felten, LICSW and Kendra Snyder, LMFT
– Religious Trauma Institute led by Laura Anderson, LMFT and Brian Peck, LCSW